Elmo and Cookie Monster Outfit Tutorial
Crochet tube top (I found mine on EBay $3.95)
3-4 Rolls of tulle of desired color 6 x 25”
¾ inch non roll elastic (desired length equal to waist)
Ribbon – 1 inch wide
- Begin with making the waistband using the elastic. Cut to desired measurements of waist and sew together.
- Cut the tulle into strips 26” long.
- Attach the strips to the tutu. Fold the tulle two times to make it skinny, and then fold again in half. Making sure it is even.
- Holding the strips, insert folded side down in elastic; bring ends of tulle through the loop. Hold the knot and pull until snug. Continue this all the way around covering all of the elastic. ( I slide the pieces together while added tulle to make the tutu full and so none of the elastic shows)
- After the elastic is fully covered, we are going to another layer of tulle to make tutu super fluffy. In the knots made by the previous tulle, fold tulle same as before. Attach the tulle to the previous knots in same manor as before. Continue all the way around on each of the original tulle strips.
- Set tutu aside for now. We are finished with tutu.
Since the top is already completed, all you need to do is attach the face to it.
- Find the picture of the character that you want to make. I searched under images on yahoo, zoomed in on the image. Then I held a piece of paper up to the screen and traced the eyes, nose, etc. (Very artsy I know!) or you could cut it free hand if you are really good.
- If you traced the face on the computer like I did, cut the pieces out and attach them to the felt sheets. Use a pin to attach to felt and cut around paper.
- Place the pieces of your face to the crochet top and attach with pin to hold in place.
- Sew pieces of felt face to the crochet top with coordinating thread.
- Yay! Now you are done with the top!
Attaching Pieces Together
Attach the bottom of the crochet top to the top of the tutu with pins. I turned the tutu inside out and connected the shirt to the inside of the waistband. (Kind of like tucking in the shirt into the tutu)
Sew the top to the tutu.
Flip the outfit right side out.
Cut the coordinating ribbon desired length to make a halter tie around the neck. Fold ribbon in half, and then sew onto top of crochet top to hold the dress up.
Fluff up tutu and Ta Da! You have a tutu dress costume!